Friday 14 August 2015

Chicken of the woods

Back in 2011 I clocked a fine specimen of benefightus spongiferus down Horton Lane (see reference 1). Its host was demolished in March of last year (see reference 2), but today I clocked what might be another, illustrated left, just before I turned in to Longmead Road, as I left West Ewell.

I did not notice it last time I was by, probably some time last week, so perhaps it has been brought on apace by the warm, humid weather.

Its identification is slightly complicated by something very similar having been identified as chicken of the woods by a mushroom expert co-opted by the Midsomer people for episode 2 of season 4. An identification confirmed by google and wikipedia, with this last offering laetiporus sulphureus as its proper or scientific name. They also point to fried chicken and boiled chicken variants.

However, my specimen was not found in the woods, rather by the side of Chessington Road, well known for the fine roses which are often to be seen at around 51.354709, -0.270772, just to the Chessington side of the Chesterfield Road exit, but not for its fine chickens. So I shall stick to benefightus spongiferus, or perhaps benefitus spongiferrous for the sake of variety.

Reference 1: http://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=massif.

Reference 2: http://psmv2.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/habitat-destruction.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment