Saturday 27 April 2013

Jonathan Franzen

The book which I acquired at St. Luke's was an early Franzen called 'Strong Motion', and for once in a while I shall recycle this book only slightly read.

Franzen is clearly a clever chap and I dare say his portrait of middling urban types in the US is true enough. But I don't have to like it, his scraping around at the bottom of the behavioural barrel or his seeming preoccupation with bodily fluids. I think I can say that I have had enough of him, having now done two and a bit of his books.

More fun to be had from the interesting list biro'd into the first page of the book. What is 'benefit' doing on such a list? Is this a sturdy beggaress taking in the benefit office as she trundles around town on her chores? More fun still to sit in the 'New Sphynx' bar to see if one could spot the author but sadly, Professor Google does not seem to know of the place, if indeed it is in London at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment